Rules for Participants
The IEEE Italy Section 2022 Master Thesis Award consists in an honorarium of 1000 Euro and a Certificate.
For the year 2022, Award winners will be selected from the following two categories:
- Technology: Thesis showing innovative applications which use data obtained from
electrical, environmental, and/or process measurements with the purpose of improving efficiency, reliability, safety, security, fault tolerance, or other performance indexes of power systems or industrial processes.
- Sustainability: Thesis showing how new technologies can improve sustainability of power systems or industrial processes. Focus is particularly on innovations based on information technology, telecom and data processing, which result in a measurable improvement of sustainability, evaluated by some relevant index.
Two awards for each category will be presented.
For each category, at least one of the awardees shall be a woman. If no woman is selected, one award will be presented.
Only candidates with the following requisites are eligible for the Award:
- be a Member or Student Member of IEEE
- have completed an Engineering or other STEM degree at an Italian University, with a Master thesis defended in 2021 or 2022 (within May 15)
Thesis will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- degree of innovation in the proposed methodology or technology;
- potential for application in real-world situations;
- potential impact on a global scale.
Candidates must send their application by July 18, 2022 (23.59 CET) together with:
- Name and email address of the candidate
- Certification of IEEE membership with member number
- Title of the Master Thesis
- Name of the Master Thesis Advisor and his/her contact email address
- Name of the University where the Master Degree (“Laurea Magistrale”) has been acquired
- Date of final defense
- Electronic copy in pdf format of the Master Thesis
- Electronic copy in pdf format of a 1-page Summary of the contribution of the Master Thesis
- List of the publications co-authored by the candidate resulting from the thesis, if any
- Curriculum Vitae listing educational background of the candidate
- A presentation letter by the Master Thesis Advisor
All documents must be sent in electronic format applying on the form at:
The thesis will be evaluated by a Board of at least three Experts in the field. The majority of the Board is designated by the IEEE Italy Section and at least one Expert is appointed by ABB. Applicants will be notified of the outcome by September 26, 2022. The award will be announced during the IEEE Italy Section Award Ceremony. The date of the Ceremony will be communicated.
All the decisions of the Board are final.
Candidates shall authorize to the treatment of the personal information provided according to the GDPR (Ue 2016/679) and the Italian law on privacy (D. Lgs. 101/2018) .
Winners shall authorize IEEE and ABB to communicate the award winning through communication media (web, newsletter, audio-visual, press, …) and ABB to communicate by email with the candidate for interviews.