Rules for Participants
The IEEE Italy Section 2021 Master Thesis Award consists in an honorarium of 1000 Euro and a Certificate.
For the year 2021 two awards will be presented. At least one of the awardees shall be a woman. If no woman is selected, one award will be presented.
Only candidates with the following requisites are eligible for the award:
- be a Member or Student Member of IEEE
- have completed the Master thesis in Engineering in an Italian University, and defended the Thesis in 2020 or 2021 (within May 15)
- the thesis shall be on the following main field of interest: Smart Energy Systems, Smart Grids, Smart Industrial Systems. Focus of this Award are innovative applications which use data obtained from electrical, environmental, and/or process measurements with the purpose of improving efficiency, reliability, safety, security, fault tolerance, or other performance indexes
- thesis will be evaluated according to the following criteria: degree of innovation in the proposed methodology or technology, potential for application in real-world situations, potential effectiveness.
Candidates must send their application by July 15, 2021 (23.59 CET) together with:
- Name and email address of the candidate
- Certification of IEEE membership with member number
- Title of the Master Thesis
- Name of the Master Thesis Advisor and his/her contact email address
- Name of the University where the Laurea Magistrale has been acquired
- Date of final defense
- Electronic copy in pdf format of the Master Thesis
- Electronic copy in pdf format of a 1-page Summary of the contribution of the Master Thesis
- List of the publications co-authored by the candidate resulting from the thesis, if any
- Curriculum Vitae listing educational background of the candidate
- A presentation letter by the Master Thesis Advisor
All documents must be sent in electronic format applying on the form at:
The thesis will be evaluated by a Board of four Experts in the field. The majority of the Board is designated by the IEEE Italy Section and at least one Expert is designated by ABB. Applicants will be notified of the outcome by September 10, 2020. The award will be announced during the IEEE Italy Section Award Ceremony. The date of the Ceremony will be communicated.
All the decisions of the Board are final.
Candidates shall authorize to the treatment of the personal information provided according to the GDPR (Ue 2016/679) and the Italian law on privacy (D. Lgs. 101/2018) .
Winners shall authorize IEEE and ABB to communicate the award winning through communication media (web, newsletter, audio-visual, press, …) and ABB to communicate by email with the candidate for interviews.